How To Make Your Blog Pretty - About Me Sidebar

Jan 6, 2014


I love learning new things that I can do to make my blog prettier and today I learned another one! Yay me! I decided to share it with you guys because it took me so. freaking. long. to find this damn tutorial. I'm hoping this will make it easier for those of you either just starting out or who just haven't bothered about their sidebar in the past. Well now is the time, people! Make that blog pretty! And don't worry if you don't have a clue about HTML and what-nots, it's no biggie. :)


(Sidenote: This tutorial is only for Blogger as that's the blogging platform I use. If you're a Wordpress user, I'm sorry but this tutorial probably won't do you any good!)

  1. Okay guys, first thing's first. Go to your Blogger dashboard and click on the button to create a new post --> the orange one with a little white pencil on it. (I'd hope you already knew that but....just in case...)

  2. Now write whatever you'd like to include in your new and improved "About Me" section just as if you were typing something for your blog. I found it best to go ahead and center it before you type or once you're done. (It gives it a cleaner look in your sidebar.) Try not to make it too long, keep it short, sweet, and to the point. Just introduce yourself, add a few things that interest you, maybe add a quote or life motto, and of course, don't forget YOUR PICTURE! People want to see who you are to be able to relate to you better. They wanna see the person behind the blog. So give them what they want! :) Just make sure it's a recent photo of you and there's not someone obviously cut out of it or your face isn't visible. Give your readers a good, clear photo to picture you by while they get to know you better through your blog. (Try to keep the picture size below 200 pixels or it'll be too large to fit into your sidebar.)
  3. Okay, once you've created your about me information and added a pretty picture go to your toolbar at the top of your post and on the left-hand side you'll see an HTML button. Click it. Now copy everything on the page [ctrl-c].
  4. Now, in a different window open your Blogger dashboard again and go to your "Layout". Look over on your sidebar options and add a new Gadget. You want the one that's simply labeled "Text". You may have to scroll a bit to find it. Click on the "+" to add it to your sidebar. 
  5. Once the box labeled "Text" pops up simply paste your HTML code that you copied in Step 3 into the content box and click save. (You can add a title if you want but it's entirely optional. I chose not to just to have a cleaner look.)

And VOILA! You're done! 



Yours should more or less look something like this:



See, that wasn't so bad. If you're not totally satisfied with how your sidebar looks just keep tweaking it in Step 2 and repeat Steps 3-5 accordingly. I probably changed mine 5 times before I was happy with it.  But hey, now you're one step closer to having the perfect blog! I don't know about you but I'm pretty happy with how much better my blog looks and feels.  

Thanks for checking this out and if you have any questions or suggestions please feel free to leave a comment, I always love hearing from you!


Olivia
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...