My Story: Why I Started Blogging

Jan 13, 2014

I never intended to become a writer. 

I've never even particularly liked writing. In high school, I avoided it at all costs, generally taking the "BS" route when forced to write essays or stories, etc. And English 101 in college? Failed it. Twice. I'm not even kidding. It's a little embarrassing to admit actually. (To come to my own defense, I had different priorities than writing college essays back then. Let's just say I lacked a certain focus.) 

What inspired me to create this blog was certainly not an affinity for writing or a need to get a point across or a passion for design or fashion or whatever it may be. I started this blog for the mere reason that I loved reading others' blogs. And I wanted my own. 

 I wanted my own little part of the internet that I could be proud of. Something that I could look back on in a few years and take a peek at what my life used to be like. If you asked me where I was 2 years ago today, I couldn't tell you even if my life depended on it. That information just doesn't stay with me long. And I figure this is a much better way to document my life and ramblings than a traditional photo album. While I love albums, they certainly leave something to be desired. So, here we are. 


My blog interest started about this time last year. I was pregnant and staying at home while my boyfriend worked, plus we were living in a new place without much to do or anyone to talk to really. So I started to look around online for advice about my pregnancy and wanting to connect with other first time moms. {None of my friends had any babies and it was hard to relate when all I was interested in was baby talk - totally out of their comfort zones. It was a little out of mine too to be honest.} My online search led to the infinitely vast world of blogging and everything that goes along with it. And it was awesome.  

I couldn't get enough of it. 


There was just so much to see and read and so many ideas to be shared and projects to take on. I was overwhelmed with the idea of so many people connected by one thing. The internet. This probably amazed me so much because the furthest I'd ever really ventured into the social aspect of internet communication and expression was Facebook, Twitter, and Pinterest. Ya know, the basics. And honestly, I didn't particularly like any of them except Pinterest. There's really not much to it at all. If you had an appreciation for someone else's board, you followed it, if you liked their pin, you re-pinned it. Simple as that. Not to mention the amazing amount of inspiration one can glean off of Pinterest. The possibilities are truly endless. 

The reason I don't care much for Twitter and Facebook is because I usually find it difficult to 'be myself'. I'm generally the quiet girl that hangs out in the background and observes vs participating in the action. I'm an observer. You'd be amazed how much you can learn about people by simply observing. However, you can't just observe forever. Eventually you have to take that leap and do something for yourself. I say this very delicately, because I personally find the art of observation pretty fulfilling, but - 
observation without action gets you no where. 

So I finally decided it was time for me to take a step out and help myself for a change. And this is that step. 
I have a ton of things I'd love to do with this blog and I'm still so much of a beginner that I find it exciting to get more than 20 page views in a day. Yep, total newb. I have about a million and one things planned for this site but you'll have to be patient with me. I'm probably the most indecisive person in the world so every time you come back, there will be familiarity but there will probably be lots of changes too. That's just the way I am, I like to keep it fresh and pretty - I never seem to be satisfied when it come to this kind of thing. There is always room for improvement!
I'd love for you guys to follow me on my journey with this blog and stay for a while. Feel free to give any feedback, I'd love to hear from you :) 

Olivia

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...