This Weekend: Relax

Feb 20, 2015

Last weekend was seriously so wonderful for me. Why? What made it so wonderful? Believe it or not, I did absolutely nothing last weekend. And it was so much needed.

Now, I say "nothing" but what I really mean is that I had no definitive plans set for those two days. This is such a rarity for me you guys. At first I honestly just didn't know what to do with my time. Finally I decided to roll with it instead of making plans with someone and just see what happened. And it turned into one of the best weekends I've had in quite some time.





My main focus was de-cluttering, and I like to think was pretty productive in that sense. I de-cluttered my home, my ever-growing to do list, and most importantly, my mind.


Let me just be the first to say, I feel great. More relaxed in general than I have been in a while. And I know damn well that I typically cause my own stress - unintentionally of course, but still. I'm always overbooking my own time, making it difficult for me to keep up with my own busy schedule. It seems so hard to say no though sometimes, ya know? Like I'm constantly obligated to whoever or whatever it is before I've even thought about my own answer. Maybe that's just my personality type (I'm a self-proclaimed people pleaser by nature). I'm not sure.

Nevertheless, after a weekend of allowing myself to have nothing written down in my planner, no birthday parties/get togethers to attend and no general obligations whatsoever, I'm convinced that there is a balance to be found. And I'm determined to give myself more free time for just taking life as it comes and allowing myself to be relaxed about it. (Ever since becoming a mom, relaxation is basically a mythical concept that I only hear about in the movies I barely watch whilst simultaneously folding laundry and chasing a toddler around the house; although it sounds wonderful.)

From now on, I'm challenging myself to have a similar weekend to this one at least once a month, for my own mental and physical health. Everyone needs to take the time to relax and slow down a bit from time to time but with our busy adult lives, this can be so much harder to actually accomplish than it should be.

My primary goal for 2015 is to be more intentional. Living less out of habit and focusing only on the things that will actually help me grow and get to where I want to be in this life. I wish I had done this a long time ago, but I'm so glad that I'm beginning now.

Everyone needs to be able to take the time to clear their mind without feeling guilty about it.

So do something {or in this case, nothing} completely out of intention instead of habit. Take the time to slow down. Appreciate what is around you and focus on that. If you get bored (and you will) think of something productive to do. And by productive I just mean do something that you'll thank yourself for later. For some this will mean completely re-arranging the living room for a new sense of freshness in the house and for others this could mean actually taking a nap while the baby sleeps. To each his/her own. Create your own definition of productivity and commit to it. You'll be so happy you did.

Olivia

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...