My Journey To Adulthood; 4 Things I Wish My 18 Year Old Self Was Aware Of

Mar 18, 2015

 Lately it seems I've been doing a lot of reflecting on my "adult life" thus far...or should I say, the journey I'm still on to reach adulthood. Because I'm not totally convinced I'm there yet. Maybe after I can finally buy a house, I'll feel a little more "there". I don't know; I'll keep you updated on that though.

So far this is the conclusion I've come to regarding said journey: I have done some incredibly stupid things on my road to adulthood. But, I've also learned some extremely valuable lessons that I wish I could go back and tell my 18 year old self, so {naturally} I've compiled a list of topics to go over with that incredibly naive girl that I knew so well only a few short years ago.


Number 1

YOUR CREDIT FUCKING MATTERS. Stop right there and DO NOT submit that application for the credit card offer that was mailed to you. I know it's tempting. Just don't do it. I understand that they didn't teach you shit about this in high school but it's actually the single most important determining factor in everything you will do as an adult. So, even though you've basically been completely in the dark about this up til now because of our lack of real-life, practical education in public school systems, just trust me on this one. This is one lesson that you do not want to learn the hard way. 

Number 2

If someone you treat as a priority in your life does not reciprocate, just walk away. You're not friends with any of them anymore anyway and I can assure you it's for a good reason. (With the exception of one or two who actually did make it to your 22nd year with you. Those select few are keepers ;)) You can avoid quite a few sticky situations if you'd just sit back and open your eyes - gauge the situation from an outsider's perspective and go from there. 

Number 3

Referring back to that shitty school system that I mentioned above ^ contrary to popular belief, college is not for everyone and it is certainly not the only way to make a decent living. I'm making more money and in a more stable job right now than 98% of my peers who actually went to school. You don't need the student loan debt, so feel free to just skip this altogether. 

{Side note - we dropped out after the 3rd semester and it was one of the best decisions we've made. Try not to fret.}

Number 4

Traveling is a privilege - no, it's a fucking luxury. Take advantage of every opportunity you get because when you start working full time and have a toddler at home, you can kiss those last minute weekend trips to Chicago/Miami goodbye. Traveling these days takes so much more planning than deciding on Tuesday that you want to go somewhere and being there by Saturday. Ahhh, the good ol' days. Enjoy them. Soak in every single moment of freedom and do crazy shit that you'll thank yourself for later. Honestly, just do whatever the fuck you want because you're 18 years old and you can. You have my full support! 


That's all I've got for now but I'm sure there are plenty of important things that I'm forgetting so I may revisit this in the future. Is there anything blatantly obvious that you think should be on this list? Let me know in the comments, I'd love to hear your input! 

Olivia



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...